Tuesday, September 1, 2015

FALLEN KINGDOM - Sarah Taleweaver



 Once I had a kingdom;
Fair it was, and full of life.
Winged folk, immortal, bright,
Flew free among its many towers.
Yet among the joy I had not my love,
And without him all this was not enough.

Once I had a kingdom;
A reign of terror it was, and like no other.
No seat or throne had I but,
People ran like rabbits before me;
They cursed my name and shivered at their boldness.
But I flew too high and was thrown down,
My wings stripped, my power caged,
For their fear could not replace lost love,
And my kingdom still was not enough.

Once I had a kingdom;
Broken and bleeding it was, and full of death.
Its people burned to blackened bones,
Its towers shattered and fallen,
Its empty streets twisted and hungry.
Yet to fill my emptiness, quench my bitter wrath,
Even this destruction was not enough.

Once I had a kingdom;
A land of Flame it was, and full of fear.
A land brought to its knees before my tower,
Its people whispered my name in reverence;
They bowed before me as their goddess.
But it lasted no more than did the others;
The revenging waters came to flood the land;
They washed away the Flame,
Broke apart the kingdom that could not be enough.

Once I had a kingdom;
Fair it was, and full of joy.
Yet bitterness burned it to ash within me,
For nothing could satisfy my ache.
Everywhere I turned I found emptiness;
Everything I took became nothing.
Yet ever I refused what would have satisfied,
For Love of One would have been enough.


VOTING: If you would like to vote on this or any of the other fan fiction submissions, send me a list of your top three favorite POEMS and your top three favorite STORIES. (aestengl@gmail.com) Voting is for fans of the Goldstone Wood series only.
 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your poem, it's beautiful and sad.

Hannah said...

OooOoooooo, Sarah, this is wonderful!!!

Meredith said...

What a wonderful glimpse into Rhi Sora's heart! I loved her contemplation of the many forms of her kingdom, and you really captured her character perfectly.

Anonymous said...

I... I can't. I can't do anything now. Oh my. Oh wow. Oh sadness. Oh pitiful, pitiful Dragonwitch. That's an amazing poem Sarah Taleweaver. Amazing.

-Rebekah Lawrence (AKA Rebekah L. and Stargazer)

Penny said...

Beautiful poem. It captures the human fault of how we chase after the love of something over the love of One that could satisfy. Her story is a sad one but oh so true. Not only females, but males fall into this category. The best way to love someone is to love them through the ONE.

Corrie said...

This is a beautiful poem. It's such a sad story, but I love the way you can read this piece and hear the longing Hri Sora had and the emptiness she chose.

Sarah Pennington said...

Thank you, everyone! I'm glad you like my poem!

Unknown said...

Such great progression on this one, Sarah! It's so beautiful and melancholy...oh what could've been! Wonderfully done, my dear! The poem is wonderful!

-Melanie